Photos by Jennifer Browning

Thursday, July 14, 2005

Diving into deep black holes

Barely obtaining my Rescue Diver certification, I am intrigued by cave and wreck diver's abilities to penetrate such dark dangerous spaces. As adventuresome as I am, I am not ready for the challenge (yet). Fast Company has a great article on Wes Skiles, a veteran cave diver. The article begins with his dangerous descent into the Yucatan's Grand Cenote cave system and covers Skiles first experiences with cave diving, why Skiles dives solo, and how these dangerous expeditions are just another day at the office for Skiles and his partner. Skiles tells how he has learned how to harness danger and how he escaped some too close for comfort cave diving situations. Hearing his tales definitely give PADI's recommendation of stop, think, act a whole new meaning.


Read

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you really are interested in cave diving, you might want to check out The Cave Diver's Forum . Great community of cave divers, especially those of us who dive in Northern Florida. I've got two old dive reports up there, numbers 510 and 511 from my log book.

When you're ready to learn (100 dives or more, comfortable in the water and REALLY solid buoyancy), let me know and I'll point you in the right direction.

Safe bubbles,
Burt Wagner

8/14/2005 10:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

©2005 Jennifer Browning. All photos unless otherwise noted are the property of Jennifer Browning. Please seek permission before using or linking photos