Photos by Jennifer Browning

Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Goliath Moments: Diving the USS Spiegel Grove

KEY LARGO--Striding off the boat and landing in some slightly choppy water, the current tugged me toward the port side of our dive boat where I quickly grabbed the tag line set for us. Crawling along the surface the seas tossed us around until we hit the mooring line.

"If you aren't careful the current will blow you right off the wreck and you will never see it," Ocean's Diver boat captain advised us before descending upon the stern of the USS Spiegel Grove.

No kidding.


Current Work

Diving in with a steel tank at 2400 psi, I used 300 psi pulling myself from the stern of the dive boat to the mooring line set off the bow.............guess I shouldn't have left my snorkel at home. Luckily my air consumption is minimal.

Even for Grove veterans, most divers need both hands to pull them down the line. Once at the deck it's hard core finning until divers get over the side. From that point at 65-70 feet while still having to make an effort to head toward Spiegel's stern, it's sort of easy gliding. All the finning is worth it, however, because this wreck is amazing. We made our way around the side to check out the massive prop blades (Marnie's favorite part)of the Landing Ship Dock.

OH MY GROUPER!

Ghostly lounging on it's side staring at the Speigel's props I felt so insignificant. I wanted to head to the other side of the stern to peer around the corner to watch the rest of the 510 foot wreck disappear into the darkness.Preparing to guide my buddy into that direction she tapped her mask signaling she saw something. Noticing her wide-eyed stare, I winced expecting something like a large bull shark.......but there he was slinking out from behind a prop blade.....a goliath of a Goliath Grouper. I have seen these before on shallow dives weighing in at 100-200 pounds and stretching maybe 1-2 feet in length. I sunk down to it at 114 feet trying to gain perspective of it's actual size. Finning toward it to swim along side the mammoth my heart raced to be near something that was as long as myself. I am 5 feet 3 inches (well on a good day) and this guy was at least 4 1/2 to 5 feet in length.....possibly 500 pounds. Stunned and amazed I ascended away from him to rejoin Marnie on the rest of our dive.

For all it has to offer, Spiegel Grove is still a young artificial reef. Submerged in 2002 as the largest vessel intentionally sunk as an artificial reef it has yet to be blanketed with coral, but as we witnessed there is evidence of life. Divers will possibly see baracuda, jacks, silversides, and tarpon. With it's swift currents dive operators will only take advanced divers to the wreck.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Goliaths

6/25/2005 3:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

©2005 Jennifer Browning. All photos unless otherwise noted are the property of Jennifer Browning. Please seek permission before using or linking photos