Photos by Jennifer Browning

Tuesday, June 07, 2005

It's the little things: Peaceful diving on French Reef

KEY LARGO-Our fourth and final dive today was French Reef. A fantastic way to end the day. Key Largo diving is not the Caymans, not the Turks & Caicos, but it is some nice diving. At a total depth of 39 feet and a bottom time of 60 minutes we sailed over massive brain coral serving as lodging for Christmas tree worms and swam along with a rather large (2 feet long) Blue Parrot Fish. But as I am always amazed at the massive sizes of the sea life I encounter, I am intrigued at the little life that keeps things in motion.

Today we encountered little cleaner shrimp. There were five of those little fellows hanging around a corkscrew anemone. I am pretty adamant about not touching anything. I just don't want to interfere.........but remembering Marnie tell me how she likes to feel the little creatures cling and clean her cuticles, I couldn't help it. Slowly, gently I moved my index finger close to one. The other four backed off, but one leaped forward to take on the task. Feeling him pick and tickle my cuticle I smiled. Sure the 6-8 foot reef sharks and spotted eagle rays are nice, but once in a while it's nice to stop and take notice of the little ones divers breeze by daily. Hovering over the little bit of coral these little guys call home I smiled because not everyone gets to experience little wonders like this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

©2005 Jennifer Browning. All photos unless otherwise noted are the property of Jennifer Browning. Please seek permission before using or linking photos