Photos by Jennifer Browning

Friday, October 07, 2005

The other side of the dive

After trying to shuffle around work and scuba trips, my training as a dive master began a little over a month ago with observing my boyfriend's Discover Scuba session. For the first time, I wasn't the participant and it wasn't all about me and my diving. Because Dan got the hang of everything, Mike went beyond DS, into mask clearing and on to basics about buoyancy. While not all of my observation hours will be so up close and personal, I discovered how beneficial it was to have a relationship with the student as well as the instructor. In the pool observing, I was able to see how Mike from The Scuba Source demonstrated the skills and how Dan executed them, but I had the opportunity to discuss the lesson from a student's perspective. In the car, Dan and I discussed his first scuba experience. I was beaming with pride and by the time my car had turned the corner I was ready to book him on the next trip to Cozumel.....that was the moment I learned something from the student.

Basically, I have the ability to scare people from scuba.....that's what he told me....not in those exact words, but apparently I get so excited about diving that I get too technical. He was right. Thinking back to his beginning scuba questions my talk was filled with decompression limits, air consumption, safety stops, and surface intervals. Little did I know I lost him the moment my talk hit the water. A good instructor, an instructor who wants their student to enjoy the learning process, not only teaches the skills and anticipates problems, but helps the student discover the subject a little on their own.

Typical mistake from a beginning teacher.....as a former high school teacher I should know better....I appreciated the lesson.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jen B said...

Wade--
I realize this, did I leave out the part that I lead him to my instructor's house by leaving a trail of poker chips? ;-)


Why not a poker table underwater? Athens Blue Dolphin Scuba here in Dallas has had an underwater Monopoly game.....so why not poker? It would make for an interesting challenge! Although if the DA does bust Dallas poker, instead of taking poker underground we COULD simply take it underwater....wonder how long it would take the DA to find us all then?

10/10/2005 4:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually, for the record, the Dallas DA does not bust Dallas poker. That's how I have been able to carry on as a criminal, allowing you to indulge your "bad boy" fancies.

10/11/2005 1:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

©2005 Jennifer Browning. All photos unless otherwise noted are the property of Jennifer Browning. Please seek permission before using or linking photos